The ImPactful Teen Innovation Sandbox is a camp experience for teenagers to engage in social good innovation. This program combines design thinking, the UN Sustainable Development Goals, and podcasting to promote civic engagement and create local impact. Students work in teams to identify a local issue, interview civic leaders, and then use design thinking to prototype their solution and pitch it to a broader audience.
- Research-based social good innovation
- and podcasting curriculum with over 30+
- Innovator’s Guide
- Teacher’s Guide and Teacher Kits
- Professional development options to
- build capacity
- Onsite or online
- 1 week to 1 semester in length
Good for onsite shortened time events such as summer camp, after school programs, or homeschooling.
- Develop an innovator’s mindset
- Identify social issues that impact
- the local community
- Understand how civic leaders are
- addressing local problems
- Increase team building skills
- Develop and synthesize 21st
- century digital communication skills
- Situate local problems within the
- context of the UN Sustainable
- Development Goals (SDGs)
Local Teens Podcast and Use Interviews with Civic Leaders to Design Social Solutions
The ImPactful Teen Innovation Sandbox pilot was a week-long spring camp experience for Linda Vista teenagers to engage in social good innovation. This unique partnership between the Jacobs Institute, Cloudcast Media, and the San Diego County Office of Education combines design thinking, the UN Sustainable Development Goals, and podcasting to promote civic engagement and create local impact. Students worked in teams to identify a local social issue, interviewed local civic leaders for their podcast, and used design thinking to prototype their solution and pitch it to a broader audience.
“Authentic learning at its best.”
~Stephanie Oliver, Immaculata HS Ottawa Catholic School Board
Looking for more?
If you are interested in working with us to bring this program to your school, just let us know. We have other programs and services available for schools and districts and would be happy to work with you to create the perfect program that fits your needs.